Friday, March 30, 2007

Harry Potter power

Think people aren't reading? Think again. Think about Oprah's book club. She announced a book on Wednesday, today there were paperbacks of the title she chose in a local Target store (with the little round 'Oprah' sticker on it.

Or think about Harry Potter.

So far, the first six books in the series has earned Scholastic over $800 million dollars. The last book set a record for 10.8 million copies (first printing). It sold over 6.5 million copies in the first 24 hours of its release.

This next book will have 12 million copies printed, and I'd wager that over 8 million copies will be sold in the first 24 hours. Wow.

This next book will also likely push the total revenue earned for Scholastic, by the Harry Potter series, to over one billion dollars. Let me say that again. 7 books, over the course of 10 years, will have earned Scholastic over one billion dollars (we will find out later this year if my math is correct).

The information is correct, but I can't recall where I read it. I think it was a print copy of the recent Publisher's Weekly.

No comments: