Saturday, October 20, 2007

Listen to your colleagues and patrons!

It has been a year now since I have been working in the world of the academic library, and I have to say I'm hooked. I have had steady challenges, along with the occasional Ah Ha! moment, and I have yet to experience the same day twice.

Two interesting things I have been able to do this last year have been a result of listening to staff. One staff member suggested Playaway audiobooks (think audiobook on an iPod, but the Playaway is a self contained audiobook). We ordered 60 titles, and at any given time about 10-15% of them are checked out (Ok, Ok, small sample size, but it still sounds good).

Another project we are embarking on is Podcasting, and the catalyst here was that a staff member suggested the $100 Podcast Studio kit. This set up includes a quality microphone and a set of headphones that any DJ would be proud of.

To reiterate, staff have suggested very timely and interesting products and services this year. My goal is to write a similar entry one year from now, with students being the group that has provided inspiration.

No comments: